It’s a brand new week, which means … the Daily Noontime! Here are some headlines and news from the best city in the world…Boston!
* The Boston Celtics are one game away from knocking out the Atlanta Hawks in the first round of the NBA playoffs, as the Green and White earned an impressive, 101-79 victory. Paul Pierce paced all scorers in Game No. 4 with 24 points, while Rajon Rondo concluded the contest with 20 points and 16 assists.
* Despite leading his team in points, Pierce sustained a left knee injury during shoot around on Sunday, which left his status for Game No. 4 up in the air. However, he did play, but aggravated his knee, which means his status for Game No. 5 on Tuesday is uncertain. Also, Avery Bradley, who dislocated his shoulder during Friday’s contest, finished Sunday’s game with six points, one rebound and one steal.
* The Boston Red Sox woes continued on Sunday, as the Baltimore Orioles concluded their three-game series sweep with a 9-6 win in 17 innings.Clay Buchholz lasted 3.2 innings, and surrendered seven hits, five earned runs and three home runs. Will Middlebrooks hit his first career home run in a Sox uniform, while David Ortiz recorded two hits and double in the loss.
* The Sox have now dropped five out of their last six contests, and will attempt to rebound on Monday when they travel to Kansas City for an 8:10pm first pitch — Felix Doubront opposes Jonathan Sanchez.
* Last, but certainly not least, New England Patriots left tackle Matt Light is scheduled to announce his retirement on Monday. He issued a statement to the media on Sunday, and will meet with reporters at Gillette Stadium to wrap up his 11-year career with the Patriots.