Week two of the college football season has come and gone. However, we thought we’d share some interesting notes and tidbits on the various Massachusetts teams that competed this past weekend.
*Mount Ida College earned its second win of the season, as they defeated Plymouth State, 22-12. The win helped the Mustangs achieve their first 2-0 start in the program’s history.
*An interesting tidbit about Plymouth State – this is their first 0-2 start in their program’s history since 2006.
* Hands down, one of the best defensive performances of the week belongs to Bridgewater State, as the Bears held UMass Dartmouth to just 120 yards of total offense, along with two first half field goals. The Bears trounced the visiting Corsairs in their first New England Football Conference clash of the season.
* Against Castleton State, Endicott College registered 66 points before the buzzer sounded, which is the most any Gulls team has tallied since the program started in 2003.
* Similar to their game last week against Framingham State, the Endicott Gulls defense recorded five interceptions for 134 yard and five sacks for 25 yards.
* Keep an eye on the Springfield College running game going forward. Against Husson on Saturday, the Pride recorded 457 yards on the ground, which helped them even their record at 1-1. The game featured five different rushers, who scored one touchdown each, along with a 29-yard field goal by senior placekicker Ricky Peacock.
* Against Rowan University, Merrimack’s offense a season-high 500 yards of total offense, which helped them earn their first victory of the season.