Happy Wednesday to everyone! Let’s get the day started with some headlines and news from Boston and New England!
* The Boston Bruins trailed Tampa Bay by four goals after one period, and never recovered, as the Lightning beat-up the Black and Gold on Tuesday, 6-1. Jordan Caron netted the only goal for Boston, while Marty Turco and Tim Thomas combined for 11 saves between the pipes. Boston is currently 1-3 in their last four contests, and will attempt to end their three-game skid on Thursday when they face-off against Florida.
* Sources confirmed that the New England Patriots are working toward finalizing a deal with wide receiver Matthew Slater, which should be completed by Wednesday. Also, there is no news on Wes Welker‘s contract, but it’s possible that due to various free agent signings, he’ll be asking for a decent amount of money.
* The Boston Celtics will return to the hardwood on Wednesday evening when they tip-off against the Golden State Warriors. Boston is 1-1 on their current eight-game road swing, and have won three of their last five matches.
* UMass’ men’s basketball team earned a first round NIT victory against Mississippi State on Tuesday, 101-96 in double overtime. The Minutemen will return to the hardwood on Thursday when they take on Seton Hall.
* Finally, the Boston Red Sox picked up their seventh win in the Grapefruit League on Tuesday, as they defeated the New York Yankees, 1-0.