Pimm Helps Northeastern Tie UMass, 3-3

By Matt Noonan 

BOSTON, MA – Prior to the start of the season, University of Massachusetts head coach Don Cahoon seemed rather concerned about his team’s youth and inability, especially since the Minutemen were coming off one of their worst seasons in their college history, and only mustered six wins – five of them came in the Hockey East Conference.

On Friday, Cahoon was once again reminded of his squad’s youth, as the Minutemen squandered a one-goal lead with two seconds left in the third period and allowed Northeastern’s Braden Pimm to score the game tying goal, which resulted in a 3-3 tie.

“I thought it was an early October game in many ways,” Cahoon said. “Pretty ragged play, a lot of anything that happened came off broken plays. There was a lot of effort out there, there’s was a lot of emotion – naturally [you’d] think you’d get that emotion given [Jim Madigan’s] first game and that team obviously wanted to come out and perform in their own rink for [their head coach] and we tried to trade off plays and … I though our guys played pretty hard too.”

Both teams struggled to gain any sort of momentum during the opening period, but eventually UMass’s Colin Shea found the back of the net and beat Huskies goaltender, Chris Rawlings [36-saves] to give the Minutemen a somewhat comfortable one-goal lead on their first power play.

Northeastern responded nearly 10-minutes later with two back-to-back strikes that came off the stick of Justin Daniels, who practically scored the same goal twice. Daniels was literally parallel to UMass’s goaltender Kevin Boyle [29-saves], and connected on two rebounds.

Yet, Northeastern’s lead only lasted approximately nine-seconds, as UMass’s Branden Gracel raced down the ice and tied the game prior to the first intermission. The Minutemen then registered their final goal during the opening minutes of the second period, as captain T.J. Syner provided some fireworks at the Matthews Arena before Northeastern’s Pimm forced a five-minute overtime period in the third.

“[There] was a learning curve for all of us – from a coaching staff and with the players who really worked hard all preseason long to get us to this point, so we were happy with the outcome,” Northeastern head coach Jim Madigan said.

“[The] first two periods, I was pretty happy with at least where we were and the third period was a challenge for us and Northeastern I thought carried the play to a pretty large extent,” Cahoon said. “That tie was well earned on their part and I thought the overtime was a pretty good five-minutes for us, but obviously in overtime anything can happen, but it’s a one-shot situation, so overall, it was a raged game, it was played hard [and] it probably showed more good on both sides than bad, but a lot of work still [needs] to be done.”

UMass will look to build off this tie next Friday, as they welcome Bentley University to the Mullins Center, while Northeastern University will head to University of Maine on Sunday for a 1:00pm face-off.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.