By Matt Noonan
Here are a few leftover thoughts from Monday’s Boston Beanpot.
* Boston College appeared to be the strongest team in the city on Monday, especially since they defeated a Hockey East conference opponent by six goals.
* Northeastern University appeared dazed and confused, and head coach Jim Madigan stated bluntly that his squad was definitely “schooled.” The Huskies have now lost 12 games this season, and seriously, this has to be one of the most excruciating contests Madigan has ever experienced behind the bench.
* Random thought – did anyone else think that Jerry York’s squad was going to tally 10 goals on the Huskies?
* In my honest opinion, Harvard University’s men’s ice hockey team is certainly better than their record, which is 7-7-9. Yet, isn’t it quite amazing that the Crimson have nine ties this season? Against the number one team in the nation, Boston University, the Crimson won the shots on goal battle by rifling 30 shots on Terriers senior goaltender Kieran Millan, who easily turned away 29 of them. BU finished the contest with 25 shots, and three goals.
* Another random thought – I’m not expecting Ted Donato’s squad to lie down against the Huskies next week in the consolation clash. Harvard beat BU last year, 5-4 in the first game of “Championship Monday,” and I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat Northeastern.
* BU head coach Jack Parker should certainly compliment junior Wade Megan, who notched his second and third goals of the historic tournament against Harvard. The junior forward has now recorded three points in his five appearances in the Beanpot, and yes, they’ve all been goals.
* We’re still a few days away from another epic showdown of BC-BU, but if the Eagles play the way they did against the Huskies, then I’m picking the Eagles. However, if Millan keeps the puck out of the net, and assist his offense, then I’m picking the Terriers.
* The Eagles and Terriers have faced-off against one another 20 times in the tournament, and BU has won 12 of those contests. Can they earn lucky number 13 next Monday? We’ll see!