It’s Friday, which means we’re a few hours away from a brand-spanking new weekend! So, let’s pass the time with some headlines and news from the city of champions…Boston!
* Despite a ninth inning rally to tie the game, Detroit’s Austin Jackson drove in the game winning run in the bottom half of the same frame, which helped the Tigers beat the Boston Red Sox on Opening Day, 3-2. Jon Lester lasted seven innings, and gave up six hits, one run and struck out four batters, while Justin Verlander recorded eight innings on the bump and fanned seven batters.
* Boston and Detroit will resume their three-game series on Saturday, Apr. 7 – first pitch is scheduled for 4:05pm.
* For the second night in a row, the Boston Celtics fell to a playoff contender, as the Chicago Bulls defeated the Green and White, 93-86. Paul Pierce paced the Celtics with 22 points, while Luol Deng led all scorers with 26 points.
* The Boston Celtics are now 30-24, and will attempt to snap their two-game losing skid on Saturday when they travel to Indiana for a 7:00pm tip-off.
* The Boston Bruins won their final regular season road contest on Thursday, as they defeated the Ottawa Senators, 3-1. Boston will return to the TD Garden on Saturday for their last contest of the 2011-12 slate against the Buffalo Sabres.
* Finally, FC Dallas handed the New England Revolution their third loss of the season, as they defeated the local soccer squad, 1-0.