NEFC Championship: Getting To Know Salve Regina
We’re two days away from the New England Football Conference championship between Framingham State and Salve Regina. And while many Massachusetts natives might know a thing or two about the Rams, we thought we’d shift gears and share a few tidbits about the Seahawks.
* Similar to Framingham State, Salve Regina is 9-1 overall. Their only loss came against MIT on Oct. 19.
* Against non-conference foes Montclair State and Union College, Salve Regina won by a combined score, 33-21.
* The Seahawk’s biggest win of the season came against Western New England College where they defeated the Golden Bears in Springfield, 43-0.
* The most points the Seahawks have tallied this year is 57, which came in a game against UMass Dartmouth.
* Salve Regina began their season on a seven-game winning streak. After the MIT game, they rebounded with two back-to-back wins against Nichols College and Plymouth State.
* The Seahawks rank third in the conference in scoring offense (340 points), second in scoring defense (133 points), fourth in rushing defense, second in sacks (28 sacks), second in the red zone (33-of-41 for 27 touchdowns) and second in red zone defense (12 touchdowns allowed).
* Sophomore Phil Terio is one of two players in the conference that recorded seven interceptions. Four of those picks were returned for touchdowns.
* Sophomore quarterback Steven Wilken has tossed 18 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. He’s tallied 1,981 yards through the air, too. His best game came against Endicott College where he tossed four touchdowns in his team’s 41-24 victory.
* Wilken is also the team’s leading rusher with 386 yards. He’s rushed 97 times and scored four touchdowns.
* Senior Connor Kelly leads the team in rushing touchdowns with five.
* Sophomore Matthew Traynor is the squad’s leading receiver with 39 receptions for 756 yards and seven touchdowns. Senior Trey Scales has hauled in 17 receptions for 347 yards and three touchdowns.
* Senior linebacker Anthony Hannon leads the team with 78 tackles. He’s also recorded three sacks, 8.5 tackles for a loss, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
* Senior Matthew Markese leads the team with 12.5 tackles for a loss.
SERIES HISTORY: Salve Regina is 1-1 against Framingham State. They lost to the Rams in Framingham in 2010, but defeated them at home in 2011.
Last Championship Visit: The last time the Seahawks were in the title game was in 2000. Bridgewater State defeated Salve Regina, 27-24 at Worcester State.
Highlights: Below is a highlight package from their last game against Nichols College, which was produced for the Salve Regina YouTube page.