Mass. College Hockey: Friday Evening Roundup
By Matt Noonan
There were some exciting outcomes in the college hockey world this evening and here are a few highlights.
Men’s Ice Hockey:
* Boston University 3, Providence 2 – Sahir Gill netted his fifth strike of the season at 7:14 in the third, which provided the Terriers with their 13th win of the season. Sean Maguire deflected 32 shots between the pipes, while Providence outshot the home team, 34-25.
* Maine 4, Boston College 1 – The Black Bears potted three of their four goals in the first two periods, while netminder Martin Ouellette turned away 34 shots.
* Northeastern University 4, UMass Lowell 4 OT – The Huskies surrendered a two-goal lead in the third, as Daniel Furlong and Derek Arnold evened the score, which forced an extra session at Matthews Arena.
* UMass 3, Vermont 2 – The Minutemen earned their ninth win of the season, as Conor Sheary potted a power play goal at 5:32 in the third.
* Merrimack 3, New Hampshire 2 – Brian Christie’s goal seven seconds into the final stanza lifted the Warriors to an important win against the Wildcats. Merrimack finished the game outshooting their opponent, 35-31.
* Clarkson 5, Harvard 1 – Despite entering the first intermission with a one-goal advantage, Clarkson responded with two tallies in the second and three in the third to earn their fifth win of the season in Cambridge.
* Bentley University 4, Holy Cross 1 – Brett Switzer netted two third period goals, which lifted the Falcons past the Crusaders in their first of two tilts this weekend in Worcester.
* UMass Boston 7, Babson College 5 – Steve Weston, Cam Harvey and Mark Grinhaus each netted one goal for the Beacons in the third period, as UMass Boston skated past the Beavers in an important ECAC East showdown.
* Amherst College 3, Wesleyan University 1
* Williams College 5, Tufts University 3
Women’s Ice Hockey:
* Boston University 5, Vermont 2 – Three different Terriers netted a goal in the second, while Jordan Juron registered her second tally of the contest at 6:28 in the third, as BU defeated the Catamounts and earned their 16th win of the season.
* Clarkson 3, Harvard 1 – Despite a first period goal from Kalley Armstrong, Clarkson responded with two third period strikes, which halted Harvard’s winning streak, as well as provided them with their first ECAC setback of the season.
* Bowdoin College 1, Williams College 1
* Nichols College 2, UMass Boston 2 OT
* Holy Cross 5, Plymouth State 0