By Matt Noonan
So we missed Wednesday’s “mid-week” check-in. We apologize, but to make up for our absence, here it is a day later.
* The Northeastern University men’s basketball team won the Colonial Athletic Association regular season title last night by defeating Georgia State in overtime, 90-84. Joel Smith netted a game-best 29 points, while the Huskies set a conference record by going a perfect 27 of 27 at the stripe.
* Tuesday night featured one of the greatest comebacks in Division III hockey as UMass Dartmouth rallied from a three-goal deficit to defeat Salem State in triple overtime, 5-4. Nate Dupere, who hails from Fall River, wristed a shot from inside the blue line during the third extra session at 1:55, which lifted the hosts to victory. According to the box score, Dupere’s strike happened to be his first of the season.
* UMass’ men’s lacrosse team will be looking to earn its 18th consecutive regular season victory on Saturday when they host Brown University. The Minutemen have fended off Army, Harvard and North Carolina this season and haven’t dropped a contest to the Bears since March 14, 2009.
* The 11th annual Hockey East women’s tournament begins tomorrow as Maine travels to Boston College for a 7:00 p.m. face-off. Boston University and Northeastern University each earned spots and will play their games on Saturday. The winners from the four quarterfinal matchups will advance to next weekend’s semifinals and finals, which will be held at the Lt. Joseph P. Kennedy Rink, Hyannis Youth and Community Center in Hyannis.
* First-year coach Bill Decker will lead Harvard’s baseball team into action this weekend when the Crimson travel to Virginia this weekend to play two contests against Bucknell University and a pair against Virginia.