By Matt Noonan
It’s “hump day,” which means we’ve officially reached the midway point of the current week. So, let’s take a trip around the Bay State and catch up on some of the latest college sports news.
* Tuesday was a special day for the Anna Maria College softball team as the AMCATs snapped a 40-game winless streak by defeating Penn State – New Kensington at the Dot Richardson Invitational, 6-1. Saugus’ Nicole Lowe earned her first victory on the bump this season, while Kayla Lapierre recorded two runs and two hits.
* Northeastern University’s men’s basketball team finished their season with a loss to Old Dominion at Matthews Arena last weekend. However, they did earn the season crown and will tip-off against the winner of Drexel-George Mason on Sunday. So, let’s keep our fingers crossed for the Huskies!
* In case you didn’t know, Boston College’s Nicole Boudreau was named to the 2012 ACC All-Freshman team yesterday. Boudreau, who hails from Andover, became the first Eagle freshman to earn this award since Carolyn Swords during the 2007-08 season. According to the Boston Herald, Boudreau appeared in every game this season and netted 324 points, recorded 105 rebounds and tallied 67 assists.
* The Worcester Telegram reported that the Nichols College field hockey team received the 2012 Gladiator by SGI/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) Division 3 National Academic Team Award. Congrats Bison!
* Holden native John Henrion was named the Hockey East’s Athletic Republic Co-Player of the Week on Monday following a four goal weekend for the New Hampshire Wildcat. Henrion registered his first collegiate hat trick during Saturday’s 4-0 victory against UMass. Henrion has been a major contributor for the Wildcats this season and currently has 22 points (13 goals, nine assists).
* Sticking with the Hockey East, the league announced its women’s Pro Ambitions All-Rookie Team for the 2012-2013 season and a few local teams featured some skaters on this team. CLICK HERE to access the team and release.
* Finally, I’d like to wish the local men’s Division III hockey clubs the best of luck this evening as the quest for Lake Placid begins. We’ll have highlights from the games posted later.