By Matt Noonan
The first weekend of the college hockey season commenced with a so-called, “bang!” Below are a few notes from the first few games.
* Northeastern University’s Kevin Roy was named this week’s Hockey East Player of the Week for his six-point effort against Alabama-Huntsville. The sophomore forward recorded three goals and three assists in back-to-back wins on Friday and Saturday. Roy registered a hat trick, his second of his career in a Huskies sweater, along with 13 shots on goal.
* As of today, there are four Hockey East men’s teams with 2-0 overall marks and they are Boston University, Northeastern University, Notre Dame and Providence College.
* Boston College’s Bill Arnold, who hails from Needham, recorded his first points of the season on Sunday against RPI in the Eagles’ 7-2 victory. He recorded two helpers and one goal. Arnold’s teammate, Chris Calnan, who is from Norwell, scored his first career points at BC with a goal and assist.
* According to this week’s Hockey East men’s weekly release, BC’s Johnny Gaudreau is one point away from the 100-point mark. He currently has 99 points, 43 goals and 56 assists, and will have a chance to record his 100th point on Friday when the Eagles host No. 2 Wisconsin.
* BU’s David Quinn earned his first two wins behind the bench last weekend as the Terriers beat Holy Cross and Massachusetts by a combined score of 6-3. The Terriers will remain on campus this weekend when they host RPI and No. 2 Wisconsin.
* Sticking with BU, sophomore forward Rebecca Russo was named this week’s Hockey East Co-Player of the Week. The Connecticut native tallied four points last weekend, three goals and one assist. Teammate Kerrin Sperry, a Reading native, finished the weekend with 61 saves.
* BC’s Andie Anastos was named this week’s Pro Ambitions Rookie of the Week by netting two goals in her team’s weekend series against St. Lawrence. Her second goal happened to be the game-winner on Saturday.
* Finally, Bentley University’s Steve Weinstein was named this week’s Travel Team USA Player of the Week, while teammate Max French was selected as the Travel Team USA Rookie of the Week.