Mass. College Hockey: Notes From Friday’s Contests
By Matt Noonan
Here are some news and notes from yesterday’s contests.
- Six different Boston College skaters found the back of the net last night, which helped the Eagles earn a 6-2 victory over UNH, along with their ninth win of the season. Johnny Gaudreau potted his 13th strike of the year, while Kevin Hayes scored his ninth goal in the second period. First-year forward Austin Cangelosi finished with three points (one goal, two assists). Cangelosi has now registered three-points in three contests this season.
- Merrimack College has trailed 14 times this season, but has come back twice to win. Last night, they rallied to beat Boston University, 3-2, which snapped a seven-game winless stretch. Over the last seven games, the Warriors were 0-6-1.
- BU’s women’s team picked up their 13th win of the season as the Terriers skated past Minnesota Duluth, 6-5. Kerrin Sperry recorded her second consecutive 35-plus save performance, while Sarah Lefort registered three points (two goals, one assist).
- Harvard’s women’s team topped New Hampshire last night in Cambridge, 5-0. The win marks the Crimson’s eighth consecutive victory, as well as Brianna Laing‘s second career shutout in her second career start.
- Bentley University’s men’s team improved to 6-7-1 this season thanks to a hat trick from Alex Grieve, as well as three assists by Brett Gensler. As noted in last night’s release, Gensler’s three assists helped the senior break the program’s Division I record for career points.
- Babson College improved to 5-0-0 in the ECAC East for the first time since their 1994-95 campaign as the Beavers skated past Southern Maine, 5-2. Babson has outscored its opponents 9-3 in the third period this season and has not yielded a goal during the final 20 minutes in four consecutive contests.
- Travis Daniel became the 13th player to reach the 100-point milestone in UMass Boston’s program history as the Beacons defeated University of New England for the second time in five days. Daniel’s assist in the second period provided him with his 100th point.