Mass. College Lax: News & Notes From Yesterday’s Amherst, Tufts NCAA Victories
By Matt Noonan
Additional notes on yesterday’s NCAA Division III Tournament victories by Amherst College and Tufts University.
* Amherst College’s women’s lacrosse team will be making its sixth appearance in the NCAA Division III semifinals on Saturday when the Jeffs take on Salisbury University in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. The last time the Jeffs competed in the semifinals was in 2004.
* Amherst’s 19 wins are the most the Jeffs have recorded in program-history. The Jeffs’ 18 wins – recorded by the 2003 national championship squad – was the most victories recorded in a season prior to yesterday’s win over TCNJ.
* The Jeffs, who started the season 14-0, finished 10-0 in Amherst. They’re also 22-9 all-time in 11 NCAA Tournament play and 6-2 in quarterfinal contests.
* Yesterday’s win for the Jeffs against the Lions was their fourth in seven postseason meetings with TCNJ. The Lions previously defeated the Jeffs in the second round in 2012.
* Tufts University’s men’s lacrosse team will be making its third appearance in the championship on Sunday when the Jumbos meet Salisbury University at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore Maryland, the home of the Baltimore Ravens.
* Tufts has faced-off against Salisbury twice in the title game with the Jumbos prevailing in 2010, while the Sea Gulls captured the 2011 meeting.
* According to the Tufts Athletics Website, the Jumbos’ 21-11 victory snapped RIT’s 30-game home winning streak (spanned the last three seasons). Also, the last time the Tigers surrendered 20 goals in a game was on March 3, 2010, a 20-10 setback to Stevenson.
* From the Democratic & Chronicle’s coverage of yesterday’s RIT-Tufts semifinal contest: “We know there’s a certain amount of plays in a lacrosse game and we made more of them today than they made. They ended our season last year and we remember that and remember what that felt like. What they’re going through right now, we know hat that feels,” Tufts head coach Mike Daly said.
* The Daily Hampshire Gazette recaps the Jeffs’ quarterfinal win in their ‘Weekend Colleges’ roundup.