By Matt Noonan
Happy July 1st, everyone!
The summer is usually a slower period, but also a time where some news and links are shared about the collegiate sports world. So, we have decided to initiate a once a week mid-week notebook to share stories and news. This will be a weekly post for the next few weeks before our fall sports preseason coverage begins.
Thanks again for circling back and remember to follow us on Facebook and Twitter (@NoontimeSports & @NoonSportsBlog)!
* In yesterday’s Boston Herald, we learned that UMass Boston honored former Boston State men’s ice hockey head coach, Ed Barry.
* Babson College alum, Jenn Gottberg, will be inducted into the New England Basketball Hall of Fame. As noted in the release, “She will become the first player in program history to be enshrined as part of the Class of 2015 ceremony at the DCU Center on August 8.”
* As noted in the Wheaton College Athletics’ Summer Baseball Update (Week 4), Mike Gibbons, a New York Mets draftee that is pitching for the Brooklyn Cyclones, picked up his second minor league victory on the bump. Chris Denorfia – also a Wheaton Baseball Alum – went 6-for-14 last week with the Chicago Cubs.
* The Northeast-10 Conference produced its 2014-15 highlight reel, which you certainly will want to check out! Lots of great highlights and moments from the past school year, enjoy!
* Smith College announced the hiring of Katie Moore, who has been named head coach of the lacrosse team for the 2016 season.
* The Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) announced Westfield State University has named Colleen Bannister as the new head women’s softball coach.