New England College Hockey: Predicting D3 Contests At Frozen Fenway
By Matt Noonan
A few thoughts – or ideas – on possible Division III hockey contests that could take place in January (2017) at Frozen Fenway …
* I wouldn’t be surprised if we see another round of Babson College and Norwich University. Both teams competed at the historic ballpark in 2012 and 2014, and this game is always a ‘must-see’ contest. Plus, Babson head coach Jamie Rice is an avid Red Sox fan, so you know he would love to lead his Beavers out of the Boston dugout.
* UMass Boston is another team that should skate at the historic ballpark – the Beacons made their Frozen Fenway debut two years ago when they competed against Salem State. Perhaps we see round two of Vikings-Beacons or maybe UMass Boston skates against Suffolk University or Wentworth Institute of Technology? I am sure the Rams or Leopards would love an opportunity to play a game at Fenway Park.
* It would be great to see at least one – perhaps two – women’s Division III games. Why not pit Amherst College against Middlebury College or have Endicott College take on Plymouth State? If Norwich men’s ice hockey competes against Babson, then invite the women’s team to play either before or after against Castleton State.
* A pair of teams represented the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) two years ago with Williams College skating against Trinity College. There should definitely be a NESCAC game at Fenway – again, it could be a men or women’s contest.
* How about a Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) game – heck, it is the first year the conference is sponsoring hockey, so why not? Maybe Curry College plays Becker College or Endicott College faces-off against Salve Regina?