New England D3 Football Links: UMass Dartmouth, Westfield State Highlight Week Five
Happy Sunday (evening), everyone!
Before we officially turn the page to week six, which begins Monday, October 3, let’s hit the rewind button on this weekend’s games, beginning with a HUGE upset in Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference (MASCAC) in Dartmouth, Massachusetts.
- Abbi Bamgbose scored an overtime touchdown and converted a two-point conversion to provide UMass Dartmouth with an exciting (and dramatic) 35-34 overtime win over Framingham State on Saturday. Not a bad way to celebrate Homecoming weekend, eh?
- Westfield State quarterback Phil Cohen scored an overtime touchdown – a one-yard plunge to be exact – while Norman Carroll booted an extra point following the score to provide the Owls with a dramatic 14-13 overtime win against Plymouth State.
- Matt Greenman converted a two-point conversion with 55 seconds remaining in regulation to provide the visiting Mustangs of Mount Ida with their first-ever win over Norwich on the road in nine tries. The Mustangs’ 15-14 win was their initial Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) victory of the season.
- Jared Lebowitz tossed five touchdowns for the second-straight week to lead Middlebury past Colby, 35-14.
- Ryan McDonald‘s 15-yard touchdown run mid-way through the fourth quarter proved to be the difference as Tufts defeated Bates on Homecoming Weekend by a score of 12-7.
- Becker quarterback Nas Sinkfield-Shelton tossed four touchdowns and completed 12 of 22 passes for 132 yards to lead the Hawks past Gallaudet, 42-18 in ECFC play.
- Marshall McCarthy‘s 59-yard interception returned for a touchdown highlighted Massachusetts Maritime Academy’s 30-0 victory against Fitchburg State. With the win, the Buccaneers improve to 30-0 overall.
- An all-out senior effort helped WPI rally back from two scores to defeat Union, 21-14. The win provided head coach Chris Robertson with his 100th win on Boynton Hill.