By Mass. High School Lax (@Mass_LaxHS)
A brand new season of Massachusetts High School Lacrosse is slowly set to begin – there are still a few play-dates and scrimmages scheduled for the next few days. Below are a few games we’re going to be keeping an eye on – of course, there will be others, too – but here are some games to watch, attend or follow on social media!
- Westford Academy at Lincoln-Sudbury (Thursday, Mar. 30th | 4 p.m.) – This will be a good test for the Grey Ghosts as they take on the two-time defending MIAA Division 1 Eastern Champions.
- Xaverian Bros. at Belmont Hill School (Saturday, Apr. 1st | 10 a.m. | Scrimmage): We will be keeping both eyes on Tim Gardner‘s squad this season, which begins its 2017 campaign officially next Tuesday, April 4th when they host Walpole before entertaining Catholic Memorial three days later on Friday, April 7th at 7:00 p.m.
- Duxbury vs. LaSalle Academy (Friday, Mar. 31st | 5:30 p.m. | Scrimmage): This will be the Dragons’ third consecutive scrimmage before hopping into regular season play next Monday (Apr. 3rd) against Whitman-Hanson.
- Wellesley at Norwell (Monday, Apr. 3rd | 4 p.m.): The Norwell girls lacrosse team will attempt to win their third consecutive MIAA Division 2 crown, but don’t overlook a Wellesley Raiders squad that will certainly be in the mix for the Bay State Conference (BSC) crown this season.
- Needham vs. Lexington (Thursday, Mar. 30th | 3:45 p.m. | Scrimmage): The Rockets saw their run toward a MIAA Division 1 South Sectional crown fall short to Duxbury last season, but being a new season (and a new tam), one should not overlook Needham, which will begin its season against B.C. High next Tuesday (on the road). As for Lexington, they’ll look to rebound after falling to Lincoln-Sudbury last year in the MIAA Division 1 North Quarterfinals.
- Needham vs. Franklin (Thursday, Mar. 30th | 6:00 p.m.): Before competing in a play-date with Westwood girl’s lacrosse on Saturday, the Rockets will look to commence their season against a talented Franklin squad, which captured the MIAA East Division 1 crown last season with a 7-6 win over Acton-Boxboro.
- St. John’s Prep at Reading (Thursday, Mar. 30th | 4:00 p.m. | Scrimmage): The Rockets and Eagles will tangle in what will be a quality scrimmage before Reading commences its season on Saturday, April 1st against Acton-Boxboro.
- Grafton vs. Shrewsbury (Tuesday, Apr. 4th | 3:30 p.m.): Expect Grafton to make another run toward the MIAA Boys Central/West Division 3 crown, especially after defeating Mount Greylock – a team one should not over look, too.
- Mount Greylock at Burr & Burton Academy (Tuesday, Apr. 4th | 4:15 p.m.): Mount Greylock should certainly be in the mix for a Central/West Division 3 crown this season – hey, maybe they actually get past Grafton and secure a spot in the state semifinals.
- Cohasset at Newton North (Saturday, Apr. 1st | 12:00 p.m.): We highlighted this game earlier in an exciting tweet from coach James Beaudoin. The past two years have seen this game head to an extra session, so it is possible we could see a third this weekend.
See a game that wasn’t featured or mentioned? Let us know by sending us an email to MassHSLax2016@gmail.com and make sure to follow us on Twitter at @Mass_LaxHS.