By Matt Noonan (@MattNoonan11)
Welcome to the official start of ‘March Madness!’
The NCAA Division III basketball tournament commenced today with some pretty exciting outcomes as St. Joseph’s (Maine) and Hamilton College each began the day with opening round wins. The Monks scored an exciting five-point (61-56) victory over UMass Boston women’s basketball team in Amherst, while the Continentals defeated Nazareth, 86-72, thanks to a double-double of 20 points and 12 rebounds from Kena Gilmour.
The Monks of St. Joseph’s played some impressive defense down the stretch, holding the Beacons just nine points in the third and fourth quarters. Julia Champagne led the Monks with 16 points – she also stuffed the stat sheet with six caroms, three steals and one one assist.
Joining the Monks in the second round of the women’s tournament is Amherst College, Bowdoin College and Tufts University. The Jumbos scored an opening round win over Westfield State, thanks to 17 points off the bench from Cailin Harrington, along with 15 points from Jac Knapp and Melissa Baptista.
On the men’s side: MIT scored an opening round win as the Engineers defeated Brockport, 81-67. Tim Roberts recorded his third double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds.
Middlebury College topped Lebanon Valley, 83-63, behind a triple-double of 13 points, 11 rebounds and 14 assists from Jack Daly.
Joining MIT and Middlebury in the second round is Springfield College, Wesleyan University, Eastern Connecticut and Williams College. The Pride scored an exciting opening round win as they edged Albright, 88-86, thanks to a pair of freebies from Jake Ross, along with a late free throw from Heath Post.
Bobby Casey helped the Ephs break-open a one-point (21-20) lead at the break to defeat the Bears of Bridgewater State, 56-45. James Heskett concluded the game with 13 points, three rebounds, three assists and three steals.
Saturday’s Schedule | Round Two
- Women’s Basketball: St. Joseph’s (Maine) at Amherst College, 6 p.m.
- Women’s Basketball: FDU-Florham at Bowdoin College, 7 p.m.
- Women’s Basketball: Ithaca at Tufts University, 7 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: Ramapo at Williams College, 7 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: Middlebury College at Eastern Connecticut St., 7 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: MIT at Johns Hopkins, 8 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: Hamilton College at York (Pa), 7 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: Swarthmore at Wesleyan, 7 p.m.
- Men’s Basketball: Springfield at Cabrini, 7 p.m.