The first official week of the 2021 New England (and yes, NCAA Division III) football season is in the books, which means it is time to unveil our second Top 20 Poll.
In case you missed it, make sure to check out last week’s poll, which found Western New England, Endicott College, and UMass Dartmouth in the top three spots.
Stay tuned for more college football (and soon, high school football) coverage later this week, but for now, it is time to unveil our second poll of the 2021 season!
Noontime’s New England D-III Top 20 Poll (Week No. 1 | September 6, 2021)
- Western New England (1-0, 0-0 CCC | LW: No. 1): They say defense wins championships and last Saturday, the Golden Bears defensive unit shined in a crosstown rivalry against Springfield College.
- Endicott College (1-0, 0-0 CCC | LW: No. 2): Second half adjustments were key for Paul McGonagle‘s squad last Saturday in a 27-14 victory over St. Lawrence University.
- UMass Dartmouth (1-0, 0-0 MASCAC | LW: No. 3): Quarterback Dante Aviles-Santos‘s second touchdown pass with 1:48 remaining in the final session proved to be the difference in a hard fought victory for the Corsairs.
- Williams College (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 4): The Ephs were idle this past weekend and will be off again this upcoming weekend, but an opening day clash with Middlebury College is quickly approaching.
- Middlebury College (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 5): It’s almost game week for the defending New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) champions — after an upcoming bye week, the Blue and White will begin final preparation for their opening day foe: Williams.
- Wesleyan University (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 6): Game week for the Cardinals will be here soon — an opening clash with Colby College will certainly be a game worth watching next Saturday, September 18.
- Trinity College (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 8): Despite being idle, both last weekend and this upcoming weekend, the Bantams switched places with Western Connecticut.
- Western Connecticut (1-0, 0-0 MASCAC | LW: No. 7): The Colonials squeaked out a three-point win last Saturday over William Paterson University — can they keep their early season momentum going this week against Albright College?
- MIT (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC | LW: No. 12): The Engineers moved-up three spots after outscoring Curry College, 27-0, in the second half. We’ll certainly learn more about MIT this week when they travel to Salve Regina University.
- WPI (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC | LW: No. 13): Despite a slow start, the Engineers of Worcester looked pretty good against Worcester State in the second half — a big challenge awaits coach Chris Robertson‘s squad on Friday against Endicott College.
- Nichols College (1-0, 0-0 CCC | LW: No. 11): The Bison opened their season with a victory over Westfield State — they will look to continue this early-season momentum on Saturday against Anna Maria College.
- Salve Regina University (1-0, 0-0 CCC | LW: No. 16): Salve Regina opened its season with a 38-0 win over Norwich University, thanks to an impressive rushing attack led by halfback Joey Mauriello.
- Husson University (0-1, 0-0 CCC | LW: No. 15): Despite losing to the Corsairs of UMass Dartmouth last Saturday, these Eagles certainly proved they’re going to provide some serious challenges for future opponents.
- Tufts University (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 14): The Jumbos were idle last week and will be this week, but an opening day clash with the Bantams of Trinity will be here soon.
- Springfield College (0-1, 0-0 NEWMAC | LW: No. 9): It wasn’t an ideal start for the Pride, which dropped their season-opener to Western New England — Jack Duignan and DJ Brown highlighted a defensive effort that limited the Golden Bears to just 24 points.
- Coast Guard Academy (1-0, 0-0 NEWMAC | LW: No. 20): The Bears pitched a shutout in their season-opener, topping the University of New England by a score of 16-0. Sure, it wasn’t a flawless game, but we should learn more about the Bears over the next weeks when they face-off against Curry, Nichols, and Anna Maria.
- Bridgewater State (0-1, 0-0 MASCAC | LW: No. 10): The Ithaca College defense did not make things easy on the Bears, who slid down our poll seven spots following an opening day loss to the Bombers. Let’s see if they can bounce back on Saturday against UNE.
- Dean College (1-0, 0-0 ECFC | LW: No. 18): Quarterback David Curry tossed five touchdowns to Errol Breaux in an exciting opening day win against Fitchburg State. A big test awaits the Bulldogs this Saturday against UMass Dartmouth.
- Colby College (0-0, 0-0 NESCAC | LW: No. 19): Like their NESCAC foes, the Mules were idle this past weekend and will be so this weekend, but we’re anxious to watch their season-opener against Wesleyan on Saturday, September 18.
- University of New England (0-1, 0-0 CCC | LW: Not Ranked): Keegan Stanton-Meas led a Nor’easters defense that combined for eight tackles for a loss of 20 yards, two quarterback hurries, one interception, and one pass-breakup against the Bears of Coast Guard.
ON THE RISE: Amherst College, Anna Maria College, Castleton University, Framingham State, and Worcester State