The first of November means one thing: college basketball is back!
Indeed, a brand new season of New England NCAA Division III college basketball is set to tip-off this week — are you ready to cheer on your favorite team?
Like we have in the past, Noontime Sports will be producing a weekly New England D-III Top 10 Poll with some help from local media, coaches, and athletic communications offices every Monday throughout the 2021-22 season.
So, without further ado, allow us to share our first New England D-III Women’s Basketball Top 10 Poll, which finds Tufts University in the top spot followed by Bowdoin College second and Amherst College third.
Noontime’s New England D-III Women’s Basketball Top 10 | Monday, November 1, 2021
- Tufts University: The last time we saw the Jumbos, they produced an impressive 28-1 record, including a 10-0 mark in New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) play. We expect their previous success to continue this winter — their first game is is next Saturday, November 13 against Rowan University.
- Bowdoin College: Sacha Santimano will coach the Polar Bears for the first time this winter after being named the head coach of the program earlier this year.
- Amherst College: Coach G.P. Gromacki and the Mammoths will tip-off their 2021-22 campaign on Friday, November 12 against Oglethorpe University — the game will be played at Gordon College.
- Rhode Island College: After capturing the Little East Conference (LEC) regular season and tournament crown this past school year, the Anchorwomen enter the 2021-22 season as a squad to watch — they were picked to win their conference crown this winter.
- Smith College: The Pioneers have recorded 20 wins or more in their last three seasons — they will begin their 2021-22 campaign next Monday, November 8 against Castleton University.
- Eastern Connecticut: Picked second in the Little East Conference (LEC) preseason coaches poll, the Warriors, who garnered three first-place votes, will begin their season next Tuesday in Babson Park.
- Williams College: The Ephs concluded their 2019-20 campaign with 20 wins and eight losses — it was one of the better season for Williams since posting a 20-7 mark during the 2014-15 school year. Williams will host Skidmore College next Friday, November 13 at 2 p.m.
- Babson College: The Beavers won every game they played this past winter, including their initial game in January against UMass Dartmouth (66-64). Babson will begin its season next Tuesday, November 9 against Eastern Connecticut before heading to the Middlebury Tournament next weekend.
- Springfield College: Springfield competed once this past school year — they beat Wheaton College, 56-47 — and will once again be a team to watch in the New England and Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC). The Pride tip-off their season on Friday, November 5 against RPI.
- Endicott College: Sure, the Gulls were picked to finish third in the Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) preseason poll, but they will certainly be a team to watch this winter. They will begin their 2021-22 season at home next Saturday, November 13 against Rhode Island College.
Others receiving votes: Emmanuel College, MIT, Roger Williams, Trinity College, and UMass Dartmouth