By Matt Noonan
Earlier this week, D3Hockey.com released its Women’s Top 10: Preseason Poll and only one Massachusetts women’s ice hockey team earned a spot on the list. Amherst College checked in as the 10th best team in the country.
The Lord Jeffs enter the 2013-14 season following a campaign that concluded in the New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) semifinals against Bowdoin College. Amherst concluded its season with a 13-11-1 overall recorded and 10-5-1 mark in the NESCAC.
Amherst begins its season on Friday, November 15, when they travel to Hamilton College for a 7 p.m. face-off.
For more information on the Lord Jeffs women’s ice hockey team – HOP HERE
On Monday, D3Hockey.com released its latest rankings and a few Massachusetts squads were mentioned on the men’s and women’s lists.
Men’s Ice Hockey:
* Amherst College slid from the 10th to 13th spot following a win and loss this past weekend. The Lord Jeffs currently own a 4-2-1 record and will face Williams College on Friday in a critical conference clash.
* UMass Boston (7-2-1) made their debut in the poll as the 14th best squad in the nation. The Beacons, which have never been ranked under head coach Peter Belisle, concluded the first half of their schedule winning five consecutive contests.
* Babson College, Williams College and UMass Dartmouth are currently receiving votes, so it’s possible that we could see one of these teams on the Top-15 list soon.
Women’s Ice Hockey:
* Amherst College earned a spot last week in the poll, but ended up dropping out this week. The Lord Jeffs picked up their second and third wins of the season this past weekend against Wesleyan University and are currently receiving six votes.
* Trinity College, which is a non-Massachusetts school, is receiving seven votes and could possibly join the Top-10 list next week.
* Norwich University, which is also a non-Massachusetts school, is ranked fourth in the country with a 6-1-2 record. Middlebury College currently resides in the third spot with a 4-1-1 mark.