It’s Friday, which means it’s time to break out in song and dance. However, before we do that let’s unload some news and headlines from the city of Boston!
* The Boston Celtics punched their ticket to the second round of the NBA playoffs on Thursday, as they defeated the Atlanta Hawks, 83-80. Kevin Garnett paced the Green and White with 28 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks, while Paul Pierce added 18 points and seven assists.
* Boston will return to the hardwood on Saturday when they tip-off against the Philadelphia 76ers at 8pm at the TD Garden. The 76ers won the regular season bout against the Celtics, 2-1, and also became the fifth team since the league expanded the postseason to 16 teams to knock-off a No. 1 seed.
* After Thursday’s contest against the Hawks concluded, Garnett thanked Atlanta’s co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. for providing him with some “extra gas.” Also, Ray Allen told the media that his ankle bothered him for a majority of the match.
* Josh Beckett returned to the bump 10-days after his last start, and lasted 2.1 innings against Cleveland, as the Indians defeated the Boston Red Sox, 8-3 at Fenway Park. Former Sox pitcher Derek Lowe picked up his fifth win of the season, while Jack Hannahan and Jason Kipnis smacked long balls against Beckett in Cleveland’s 18th win of the season.
* Boston has now lost eight of their last nine contests, and will once again attempt to end their current losing streak of three games on Friday.