The first of November means one thing: college basketball is back!
Indeed, a brand new season of New England NCAA Division III college basketball is set to tip-off this week — are you ready to cheer on your favorite team?
Like we have in the past, Noontime Sports will be producing a weekly New England D-III Top 10 Poll with some help from local media, coaches, and athletic communications offices every Monday throughout the 2021-22 season.
So, without further ado, allow us to share our first New England D-III Men’s Basketball Top 10 Poll, which finds Tufts University in the top spot followed by St. Joseph’s (Conn.) and Brandeis University.
Noontime’s New England D-III Men’s Basketball Top 10 | Monday, November 1, 2021
- Tufts University: The Jumbos concluded their 2019-20 season with 23 wins and six losses — they also advanced to the third round of the 2020 NCAA Division III Tournament. They will tip-off their 2021-22 campaign against UMass Dartmouth on Tuesday, November 16 at 7 p.m.
- St. Joseph’s (Conn.): The Blue Jays won two of four contests last winter after posting a program-best 26 wins one year earlier. St. Joseph’s will open their season on Saturday, November 6 against Maine-Augusta.
- Brandeis University: When we last saw the Judges compete, they finished with 17 victories, including nine conference wins. They will tip-off their season next Thursday, November 11 against Rivier University.
- WPI: Picked to win the New England Women’s and Men’s Athletic Conference (NEWMAC), the Engineers will begin their season at home on Friday, November 5 against Worcester State.
- Colby College: The Mules won four games last season — they also produced a 24-4 campaign during the 2019-20 season. They will open their season against New England College on Friday, November 12.
- Babson College: The Beavers will host the Babson Invitational this weekend — they will compete against UMass Boston on Saturday, November 6 and Suffolk University on Sunday, November 7.
- Albertus Magnus: Coach Mitch Oliver and the Falcons will tip-off their season on Tuesday, November 16 against Rutgers-Camden before welcoming Keene State to New Haven, Connecticut on Tuesday, November 23 at 7 p.m.
- Amherst College: A new era of Amherst College basketball will begin Sunday, November 14 when first-year coach Marlon Sears leads the Mammoths into their first game at Rosemont College.
- Middlebury College: The Panthers will certainly be a team to watch (again) this winter — the Blue and White will open their season in Boston, Massachusetts with a non-conference tilt with Wentworth Institute of Technology on Sunday, November 14.
- UMass Dartmouth: After winning the Little East Conference (LEC) crown in March, the Corsairs were picked to win the league again this winter.
Others receiving votes: Emerson College, Endicott College, Keene State, MIT, Nichols College, Springfield College, Western Connecticut, and Williams College