The New England Patriots earned their first preseason win on Thursday, as they defeated the New Orleans Saints, 7-6! (Photo Credit: SportsNola.com)
By Matt Noonan
Thursday’s preseason match between the New England Patriots and New Orleans Saints is officially in the books, as the Pats earned a 7-6 victory. New England will return to the gridiron in 10 days when they host the Philadelphia Eagles, but before that particular kick-off, here are some links/stories from their one-point victory.
* ESPNBoston’s Mike Reiss provides an interesting analysis on the game with a few good, bad and ugly moments.
* The Boston Globe’s Shalise Manza Young crafted a piece about Dane Fletcher, who apparently tore his ACL on special teams.
* In case you’re looking for the AP recap — NFL.com has it on their website.
* The Metro West Daily News has an interesting take on the Patriots first preseason game, as well as the play of Tom Brady, too.
* In Friday’s Boston Herald, Jeff Howe wrote about the Patriots defense, which only surrendered two field goals in a span of 60 minutes. Also, Karen Guregian provides an interesting take on Brandon Lloyd‘s first game.
Wes Welker inked his name on his franchise tender on Tuesday! (Photo Credit: Sports Illustrated)
By Matt Noonan
Various reports confirmed on Tuesday that New England Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker signed his franchise tender.
Welker, who had expressed previously on the NFL Network that he was in no rush to sign his tender, will be under contract for one-year, and be guaranteed $9.515 million for the upcoming season.
However, if the Patriots and Welker wish to continue their current partnership beyond the 2012 campaign, they’ll need to negotiate a contract between now and July 15. If both sides don’t reach an agreement, the highly touted wide receiver will have to play with his current one-year deal.
New England has spent the past few weeks and months bolstering their receiving core by adding Brandon Lloyd, Anthony Gonzalez and Donte Stallworth, but will certainly appreciate having their most reliable target back on the field.
Welker concluded the 2011 season with 122 receptions, and nine touchdowns.
The Niners-Lions contest was quite interesting, especially during the post-game!
Happy Monday to everyone and welcome to a brand new work week, (wah, wah, wah….). Alright, let’s kick-off the new week with some news and headlines, enjoy!
* After a thrilling win against the Detroit Lions on Sunday, San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh ended up getting into a tizzy with Jim Schwartz during the post-game hand shake.
* According to the Denver Post – the Broncos apparently want to unload wide receiver Brandon Lloyd, but now the question is where does he end up before the trade deadline on Tuesday?
* Against the New England Patriots on Sunday, Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan displayed frustration toward the referees, especially when his team was subbing players.
* Well, it seems that the Oakland Raiders are very interest in acquiring Carson Palmer, especially since Jason Campbell is most likely done for the season.
* The St. Louis Cardinals won a wild Game Six against the Milwaukee Brewers on Sunday, as well as punched their ticket to the World Series against the Texas Rangers.
* According to multiple reports, the “two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon” died after a car crash at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
Games to Watch:
* Miami at New York Jets (NFL) – 8:30pm eastern
Video of the Day:
Here’s some photo’s from the Cardinals exciting playoff run, enjoy!
Despite an early lead on Thursday, Texas fell to Detroit and lost their "swagger!"
Happy Friday! It’s time to relax, kick-back and enjoy life, but also y’all should read the latest edition of the Daily Noontime too! Here’ some headlines and news, enjoy!
* Despite trailing the Texas Rangers, 3-1 in the American League Championship Series, Detroit rallied to win Game 5 on Thursday to force a Game 6 on Saturday.
* The Milwaukee Brewers earned an important victory on Thursday, and tied the National League Championship Series against the St. Louis Cardinals with 4-2 win.
* Once again, New York Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes has called out his offense, which might be what “Gang Green” needs to snap their three game losing streak.
* According to NBCs Hardball Talk, the Texas Rangers are prepared to “throw” money at New York Yankees pitcher C.C. Sabathia during the offseason.
* The Denver Broncos have apparently placed wide receiver Brandon Lloyd on the trading block and hope some team will want to initiate a trade before the deadline on Tuesday.
* Apparently NBA commissioner David Stern told the media that the league might have to cancel Christmas games, if no deal is reached by next Tuesday.
Games to Watch:
* Milwaukee at St. Louis (MLB/NLCS) – 8:05pm eastern
* Hawaii at San Jose (NCAA Football) – 9:00pm eastern
* San Jose at Anaheim (NHL) – 10:00pm eastern
Video of the Day:
How sweet is this – Hulk Hogan inspiring Tim Tebow!