By Matt Noonan
Welcome to Thursday, everyone.
It is going to be a HOT one today, so make sure to drink plenty of water and stay inside. If you do venture out, please continue to be safe and wear that face covering, too.
Let’s kick off a brand new day with the ‘Daily Noontime’ – have a great day, everyone!
Noontime’s Headlines for Thursday, July 9, 2020
- As you probably know by now, the Ivy League has canceled its upcoming fall sports season.As for the Ancient Eight’s winter and spring sports, an announcement will come later this year – may be in October or November?
- Wednesday’s announcement from the Ivy League could have an impact on other NCAA conferences, including the Power Five.Will every conference play games this fall? That question will be answered over the next few days and weeks, but I do expect more cancelations.
- Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe penned a great column yesterday that other conferences and leagues should adhere to the Ivy League’s plan and cancel their fall sports seasons.
- Sticking with the college sports theme, Stanford University announced yesterday that they would drop 11 varsity sports following the conclusion of the 2020-21 school year.All in all – or as Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated said – Wednesday, July 8 “was the worst day in college sports since THE worst day, March 12.”
- The New England Revolution will play their first match in four months this evening against the Montreal Impact. The game will be held in Orlando, Florida, and will feature a new player on the Revs: Matt Polster.
- While gyms are not allowed to open in Boston or Somerville until next Monday, July 13, clients at the Boston Sports Club (BSC) are frustrated that they cannot cancel their membership.