By Matt Noonan | @MattyNoonz11
The Somerville High School football team’s schedule for the 2019 season has been released with the Highlanders scheduled to host a trio of regular-season contests, including their season-opener against Falmouth on Saturday, September 14th with kickoff is scheduled for 12 p.m.
Six days after hosting the Clippers the Highlanders will entertain Malden on Friday, September 20th for their initial Greater Boston League (GBL) meeting before visiting the defending Division I champions St. John’s Prep (Danvers) one week later.
The Highlanders will commence October with a visit from Ipswich on Saturday, October 5th before embarking on a three-game road trip with visits to Concord-Carlisle, Everett, and Medford.
Somerville will spend the month of November competing in postseason or non-postseason contests before capping the month with their annual pre-Thanksgiving Day meeting with Cambridge to compete for the Picket Fence. Somerville captured the Picket Fence last season, thanks to a late fourth-quarter touchdown run by quarterback Louis Montina.
The Highlanders concluded 2018 with a 4-7 record – they snapped their seven-game losing streak with a trio of non-postseason wins against Wilmington, Wakefield, and North Reading before edging Cambridge, 23-19.
2019 will mark the first time since in three years that Somerville will compete in the GBL after competing the past two seasons in the Northeastern Conference (NEC).
Coach Makonnen Fenton will welcome back some key pieces from last year’s squad, including Montina, halfback Fred Castin and wide receiver Miyard Joseph.
Somerville High School 2019 Schedule
- Saturday, August 31st – Jamboree at Everett High School (3 p.m.)
- Saturday, September 14th – Falmouth at Somerville (12 p.m.)
- Friday, September 20th – Malden at Somerville (7 p.m.)
- Friday, September 27th – Somerville at St. John’s Prep (7 p.m.)
- Saturday, October 5th – Ipswich at Somerville (2 p.m.)
- Friday, October 11th – Somerville at Concord-Carlisle (7 p.m.)
- Friday, October 18th – Somerville at Everett (7 p.m.)
- Friday, October 25th – Somerville at Medford (7 p.m.)
- Wednesday, November 27th – Somerville at Cambridge (6 p.m.)
Stay connected with our Massachusetts high school sports coverage on Twitter by following @Noontime_HS.