Nothing better than cleaning off the Noontime Sports desk, right?
By Matt Noonan
Cleaning off the Noontime Sports desk before Hurricane Irene – always a good time.
* Currently, the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees remain in a heated AL East division crown race; however, they’ll be able to duke it out on Tuesday, which is when the Bronx Bombers invade Fenway Park for a three-game series. Anyone else somewhat excited for this mid-week clash?
* Does anyone else believe that Tim Wakefield doesn’t have “Lady Luck” on his side? After six starts, Wakfield hasn’t earned win number two-double-zero. Of course, some believe that the Red Sox organization shouldn’t feel bad, but as a fan, it’s easy to sense some sort of emotion, especially for the oldest player in the MLB currently. Eventually the knuckleballer will earn that significant victory, but exactly when will it happen remains a mystery. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Mr. Wakefield, as well as pray for the Sox offense to produce some runs too.
* According to a recent report, Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera plans to start rookie quarterback Cam Newton during the team’s final preseason contest. Yet, is this a good or bad decision? Rivera has jostled this young man over the past few weeks, as well as given him false hopes that he’d be the starting signal caller this season. However, should Rivera really be saying this stuff? Seriously, haven’t we endured enough Cam Newton drama? In all honesty, I’d expect Newton to be the starting quarterback this season, but wouldn’t be surprised if Derek Anderson gets the nod, especially since Jimmy Clausen recently sustained a knee injury.
* If you’re a supporter of the Indianapolis Colts, how’re you feeling these days? Are you convinced that Kerry Collins is “your guy?” What’d you think of Reggie Wayne’s recent comments? In all honesty, it’s probably a “dark” time in Indianapolis. Perhaps the local economy will tank because of Peyton Manning’s absence? Hey, it happened in Cleveland when LeBron James traded in his winter jacket for flip-flops. Yet, without Manning, the Colts are a completely different team, so hopefully the Blue and White fan-base will have something to cheer about this season because otherwise it’ll seem as if Jim Mora is roaming the sidelines. Anyone remember his famous, “playoffs” rant?
* Brandon Davies was reinstated to the BYU basketball team on Friday after serving a season ending suspension in March. Yet, what exactly did he do? Well, he broke a rule and didn’t exactly respect the school’s honor code. In fact, have you read BYU’s honor code? It’s rather intense. Davies is the team’s top scorer and rebounder, so I am sure his teammates are happy to have him back on the roster. Although, one sure hopes that he’s learned his lesson and won’t have premarital sex again, especially since it’s forbidden on that particular college campus.
Well, that’s enough pondering. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and of course, please be safe, especially those in New England!