It’s been a few weeks since our last Lacrosse Notebook, but we’re back and ready to provide some highlights, news and notes from the various colleges in Massachusetts.
* Saturday will be an exciting day for three local schools, as Bentley, Merrimack and University of Massachusetts (Amherst) will play one regular season contest at Gillette Stadium.
* Bentley-Merrimack will face-off at 2:30pm, UMass-Hofstra will battle at 5:30pm.
* In case you didn’t know, UMass is now the No. 1 men’s lacrosse team in the USILA Coaches Poll, and currently 11-0. Loyola College is the other Div. 1 squad with a perfect record, too.
* According to the regional rankings as of Apr. 18, Merrimack’s men’s lacrosse team is the second best squad in the Northeast region. They’re currently 8-2, and recently sustained losses to Le Moyne and Southern New Hampshire.
* Stonehill College’s women’s lacrosse team is currently the second best squad in the NE-10. They’re 11-2 overall, 9-1 in conference play, and have four critical contests remaining prior to the conclusion of the regular season.
* Merrimack junior Corey Lunney is the Warriors top goal scorer this season with 30 goals. He is second in the NE-10, and also dished out five assists this spring, too.
* The Tufts University Jumbos men’s lacrosse team remains the top squad in the NESCAC with 11 wins and two losses. They’re currently riding a six game winning streak, which includes wins against Amherst College and Endicott College. They have two more contests remaining this season, and both will be played in Medford.
* Excluding Saturday’s events at Gillette Stadium – there will also be a critical contest in Springfield, as the men’s lacrosse team hosts Wheaton College. Both teams are undefeated in the Patriot League, and this particular match could decide who’ll take over first place in the conference.